Monday, November 11, 2013

Pride Is Rising - Watch Out

I was challenged this week by something I read in the book, "Secrets of the Secret Place" by Bob Sorge.  He said, "Humility is the foundation of all prayer." and "Prayerlessness is the first sign of

I don't "feel" prideful. But my feelings are the
wrong criteria.

prideful independence."  Ouch!  I don't feel prideful, but Sorge is right.  My lack of prayer shows that pride is rising up in my life.  It doesn't matter that I don't "feel" prideful, my actions demonstrate that I can get by without God and that is pride.

Prayerlessness sneaks in so subtly. Busyness, obligations, ministry requirements and opportunities, interruptions, study time - weeks get full very quickly and prayer gets marginalized.  No big deal, right?  I'll pray more tomorrow and anyway God understands.  I don't deny that He does understand but do I understand what my prayerlessness is really saying?  It says I can get by without spending time with the Father.  It really is the first sign of prideful independence.

And so I lay aside some of those pressing things. I decide not to do that fun activity, Bejeweled Blitz. I lay them aside so I can spend some time with the Father reminding myself that I REALLY, REALLY do need Him.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! I have never thought of it that way but you are very insightful and I agree with what you are saying!! I was very conscience of that fact on Sunday and realized that I hadn't been on my knees since things had calmed down from a particularly oppressive situation that had been resolved, so when calamity hit I wasn't prayed up and felt like I would've handled it better if I had been more in tune with the LORD. Thank you for writing what you did. I will talk to Cindy about getting that book.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete